Disabling dnsmasq on Ubuntu solves Chrome DNS resolution lag (for me)

I noticed that something was causing a name resolution lag on my Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS system.

Linux devin-OEM 4.4.0-83-generic #106-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 26 17:54:43 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yeah, so it worked like this.  I'd type any search term into the Chrome search bar, hit submit, and sometimes it would just lag, lag, lag. 

After confirming that I had no such similar problem using Firefox, I decided to clean out my Chrome install and all config files.  After re-installing...problem remained.

I configured my router to use Google's DNS as another step.  No change in behavior.

But wait, it turns out my distro uses dnsmasq, a "lightweight DHCP and caching server".  Do I need this, I wondered?  I'm happy to go straight to Google for my name resolution needs.
I found someone else who had a similar thought, way back in 2012:
http://mark.orbum.net/2012/05/14/disabling-dnsmasq-as-your-local-dns-server-in-ubuntu/

From Mark's blog:

  1. sudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
  2. Comment out the “dns=dnsmasq” line by putting a hash “#” in front it.
  3. sudo service network-manager restart
After that, /etc/resolv.conf was populated with the DNS servers my DHCP server wanted me to have in the first place, and DNS resolution was back to the happy mess it always is.
After restarting, my issue was solved.  Now I'm wondering, was my cache just really full, or the package buggy, or if something more nefarious was to blame?

Comments

Popular Posts